Monday 15 February 2016

Using a Finger to Brush Your Teeth?

This has been something that has bothered me for a long time.  I really have alwas wondered if it was better to brush with your finger or simply not to brush at all.  We have all grown up with stories from our families about different sides to the situation.  I know mine always said that your finger was worse than all the bad stuff in your mouth.  But is this true?  I am sure it really isnt.  So I got a real-life chance to figure it out because last weekend my wife and I went on a quick outing to visit my in-laws.  It is always fun to go and visit them. cIt was a great trip if I must say so myself.  We packed up all the things we needed and made sure we had the correct toiletries as well.  One of the more important things that I am sure to bring is my toothbrush.  Honestly, I usually pick up a travel toothbrush that has suction cups on the bottom.  It sure makes pulling it out and being able to put it down on a stranger's sink much more comfortable.  The convenience of simply smacking it down and having the bristles not touch the sink is a great relief.  I am sure we have all experienced the hotel toothbrush blunder and never trusted if that toothbrush was safe again.  That is literally my worst nightmare is brushing with a nasty brush. 



Generally, I am a fast packer and so is my wife.  We simply know that we can survive with a small amount so we pack quickly.  This time arrived at our in-laws with all the necessary things we needed and began to have a great weekend.  First, we simply said our hellos and then went right to unpacking.  We got our toiletries set up and clothes put away.  Then it was off to have some fun.  Basketball was on the list since it was finally warm enough to enjoy the outdoors.  It was possibly not the best idea since I got a bit sweaty and we still had other plans for the afternoon.  I didn’t have time to get a shower so I went off to a day hike a little bit sweaty.


We found a new park to visit which was completely surprising that no one had been to it yet.  It was located about ten minutes from their home and was a new experience.  The trail we went on led down a ravine to a nice river.  It was a great hike even though I somehow got a staple implanted in my shoe.  I noticed the pain and was able to pry it out with my pocket knife.  Sure it's nice to have one of those. The hike was great and the weekend lovely, but we made a big mistake on the way home. 


This was a sad time because we left our toiletries at our in-law's house.  So when we got home that night we had no toothbrush. It really is a bad feeling to have bad breath and my wife and I had the conversation about brushing with toothpaste and no brush.  I had remembered it was bad to do so aka brush with your finger.  After looking it up, and much to my dismay I was wrong.  Just know that your mouth needs protection and the stuff on your finger after washing is not nearly as bad as doing nothing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

New dentist tool

Walking into a dental operating room, you can see all the tools they will use. The sight alone can be intimidating. All the shiny seel gleam...